Tuesday, December 21, 2010

ITRI in Itri


oil on canvas 57x42cm

Buon Giorno!

We have a lovely, very convenient, Italian Restaurant just down the road. A couple of years ago they were kind enough to offer me wall space for paintings, and I was embarrassed that I didn’t have any whose subject came remotely close to Italy, food, or Italian food.

Not long ago we found that it’s named the ‘ITRI Restaurant’ after chef Antonio’s hometown – Itri, about halfway between Rome and Naples. Through Google Streetview, I saw the distinctive castle at the town centre, and got the idea of mashing Edinburgh and Itri together using each other’s buildings and features. Via Civita Farnese has a good view of the castle, so I just transplanted the restaurant, with two of its satisfied customers, into a suitable block.

It’s the restaurant’s now, and the proud hosts Gennaro and Filippo put it straight up on the wall. They’re both very chuffed with it, and it was great to see them recognising all the elements.

By the way, if I haven’t mentioned it before, the restaurant is called the ITRI, and more information and menus can be found at
http://www.itrirestaurant.co.uk/ - And, if you haven’t guessed already, that’s Madam and I waving at you from the tables outside, like we’ve just had Spaghetti Carbonara and a wee Limoncello.

Ciao! Arrivederci!

No comments:

Post a Comment