Monday, November 22, 2010

Wreck No.2


oil on canvas 51x51cm

The scene is a soft, still summer evening. The trees are flipped right to left, but the setting is recognizably Bruntsfield Links. The tank is a Panzer IV - obviously quite badly damaged, but resulting in interesting shapes.

Hopefully the grass, trees and sky read easily, but I’ve tried to make it so that you have to work a little to read the form of the tank - the marks are harder and cruder, and contrast with the blended forms behind and above.

I am yet again rather annoyed that, after slogging through these first two paintings, they’re too small. They were done on canvasses that I had ready, but at 20 inches square they maybe sell themselves short and lack impact. I’m pretty sure that it’s a confidence thing - the next lot will be bigger.

Having said that, I have to say that I’m really quite pleased with the evening light in this one…

No comments:

Post a Comment